Remembrance

Okay, so I can't quite blame my bad memory on old age yet. I have always been rather scatterbrained. This has been something that I have continually struggled with. So much so, that my best friend in college actually put a key holder on the wall next to her door just for me since I lost my keys every time I came for a visit.

When I was younger, I remember listening to Old Testament Bible stories and being amazed at the forgetfulness of God's chosen people. How could they be complaining and grumbling about God so soon after crossing a sea on dry land? It seemed preposterous to my young mind. However, my older mind understands more than I would like.

God has delivered me countless times. No, I've never seen Him part a sea, but I have seen funds miraculously appear in times of dire need. After many years of praying, I met and married a wonderful man. I carried and gave birth to a beautiful, healthy child who truly is miraculous as all children are. And what about all those trips to the desert--those periods of dryness. Wasn't it miraculous that the God of the Universe reached out to refresh me with living water?

So, why do I keep forgetting? Why, when each new obstacle or trial comes my way is my first instinct to panic or worry. Yes, I turn to my Father, but deep down I question His care for me: maybe He won't answer this time. What is that all about?

My thought? Forgetfulness is a part of the human condition. We are so quick to forget. Fifteen times in the book of Deuteronomy alone, the people are commanded to remember all that God had done for them.

So, how do we remember? By picking up pebbles. Okay, so not all of us literally pick pebbles up off the ground when we experience Him, but we can write these moments in a book. We can journal our trials and our deliverances as a testimony to what God has done. Then we can remember--re-read the journal to see the amazing journey He has taken us on.

Seek the LORD and his strength;
seek his presence continually!
Remember the wondrous works that he has done,
his miracles, and the judgments he uttered,
O offspring of Abraham, his servant,
children of Jacob, his chosen ones!
Psalm 105: 4-6 (ESV)

Comments

Popular Posts